The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

Pages: 375
Published: January 6th 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Childrens Books
Genre: YA Fantasy, Paranormal

Description:
Mackie Doyle is not one of us. Though he lives in the small town of Gentry, he comes from a world of tunnels and black murky water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattooed princess. He is a Replacement, left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now, because of fatal allergies to iron, blood, and consecrated ground, Mackie is fighting to survive in the human world.

Mackie would give anything to live among us, to practice on his bass or spend time with his crush, Tate. But when Tate's baby sister goes missing, Mackie is drawn irrevocably into the underworld of Gentry, known as Mayhem. He must face the dark creatures of the Slag Heaps and find his rightful place, in our world, or theirs.

Review:
I had been looking forward to reading this since it was first released over the states. Sadly being the UK I had to wait longer for it. Then a online friend sent me their copy and I was super excited. However, I was disappointed in the story line.

The Replacement had the potiental to be a very unique and fantastic story. However, its just doesn't. Although I read it rather quick. It didn't grab me and quite frankly left me rather confused. In most books we will get some background story that will help the reader with the different world. However, here we have just been dumped into a world with no explanation on how things are there.

The story is told from Mackie point of view. Mackie was switch with a human child when he was just baby and he is trying to live a normal human life. There wasn't really anything memorial about Mackie or most of the characters for that matter. Only one character stood out for me and that was Mackie big sister Emma. It was her love for her "brother" that really stood out to me. She adores Mackie even though he isn't really her biological brother.

Although, about a third into the book, the story picks up a little bit and we start to understand this strange world and why its the way it is.

It's an ........ interesting (I think) world that Brenna has created with monsters and stuff of nightmares. However, I would suggest though if you really wanted to read this borrow it.

Rate: 2/5
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket



Brenna's Website - brennayovanoff.com/

Siobhán - "I just want to say sorry. This was my hardest review to date. I don't know why I struggled so much with it. So sorry if it seems like me rambling"









1 comment :

  1. this one was definitely lacking something. I thought the creep factor was high but I could not, for the life of me, connect to the characters.

    ReplyDelete

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.