Summer and the City (The Carrie Diaries #2) by Candace Bushnell

Format: Kindle
Pages: 416
Published: 28th April 2011
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
Genre: YA Fiction, Chick-Lit

Description:

Summer is a magical time in New York City and Carrie is in love with all of it - the crazy characters in her neighborhood, the vintage-clothing boutiques, the wild parties, and the glamorous man who has swept her off her feet. Best of all, she's finally in a real writing class, taking her first steps toward fulfilling her dream.

This sequel to The Carrie Diaries brings surprising revelations as Carrie learns to navigate her way around the Big Apple, going from being a country "sparrow" - as Samantha Jones dubs her - to the person she always wanted to be. But as it becomes increasingly difficult to reconcile her past with her future, Carrie realizes that making it in New York is much more complicated than she ever imagined.

Review:

I adore this series. I am a massive fan of the TV show but never read the original novel. After reading The Carrie Diaries I was really excited to read Summer and the City and it does not disappoint at all.

Summer and the City follows Carrie as she embarks on her adventures in The Big Apple. She starts in her writing program and make new and exciting friends. Carrie is trying to find her feet and wants to make her short time in New York a success. However, life is hard and nothing is ever easy for Carrie.

What a fantastic sequel. Carrie matures alot in the story and we get a glimpse of the Carrie that she is going to become. She is still her funny, quirky self and I love her. Being set in the 80s its a very different life to how life is now. I love that we are introduced to so many new characters and also for fans of the original book and show we see the relationships form between Carrie, Samantha and Miranda. Now because I havent read the original book I do get a little confused reading these books as I know they story is different from the Show so some of the characters stories such as Miranda is different. However, Miranda and Samantha are still quite similar that I just feel in love with them.

This is really a coming of age story for Carrie. We see her grow from  a country girl to a city girl. With Candace skillful writing we are plunged in to the story and really feel like we are there by Carrie side and experiencing everything she is put through.

I'm not sure if this is better than book 1 or not. They are both quite different I think I love them equally. And just like book 1 I love the ending the  best. And if you read the book you will know why I love the ending to both books. I was grinning like a cheshire cat at this ending. It was perfect and makes me really want book 3 like yesterday




Rate: 5/5
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Originally Review: 20 May 2011

No comments :

Post a Comment

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.