The Secret Year by Jennifer R Hubbard

Format: Paperback
Pages: 192
Published: 17th Feb 2011
Publisher: Speak
Genre: YA, Contemporary Romance

Description: 
Colt and Julia were secretly together for an entire year, and no one—not even Julia’s boyfriend— knew. They had nothing in common, with Julia in her country club world on Black Mountain and Colt from down on the flats, but it never mattered. Until Julia dies in a car accident, and Colt learns the price of secrecy. He can’t mourn Julia openly, and he’s tormented that he might have played a part in her death. When Julia’s journal ends up in his hands, Colt relives their year together at the same time that he’s desperately trying to forget her. But how do you get over someone who was never yours in the first place?

Review:
I bought this because it was on my recommendations on Amazon UK. It sounds really interesting and I really loved the cover so I was sold. Even though I did find it good I was slightly disapointed.

The Secret Year is told from the main character, Colt's point of view. And it show him trying to deal with the grief of losing someone close to him. I'm not sure I really like Colt all that much. I just couldn't connect to him or any of the characters really. I know he is dealing with grief and I did feel very sorry for him. However, some of the things he did just made it very hard to like him. As Colt is greiving over Julia we get some insight to her. Honestly I didn't like her. I thought she was selfish for wanting two guys. Of course it was horrible what happen but it doesn't change anything for how I felt about her.

The Premise of the story is a fantastic and I really wanted to love it. However, I just couldn't connected to the story or any of the characters for me to love it. I felt like I was always waiting for something exciting to happen and it doesn't. Saying that I did enjoy some of the story. I liked how we got to see Colts memorys of the year he spent with Julia.

The Secret Year is Jennifer's debut novel. Its a very quick read and it is enjoyable. There is some moments that will having you laughing and some that will bring a tear to your eyes.


Rate: 3/5
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket


Originally Review: 4 March 2011


No comments :

Post a Comment

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.