Misfit by Jon Skovron

Format: Paperback
Pages: 362
Publisher: Amulet Books
Published: 1st Sept 2011
Source: Publisher for Review*
Genre: YA Paranormal

Description:
Jael has always felt like a freak. She's never stayed in a town for longer than a year, she's never kissed a boy, she never knew her mum, and her dad's always been super-strict, but that's probably because her mom was a demon, which makes Jael half-demon, and most definitely not a normal sophomore at St. Mary's High School. Jael thought she had it under control, though, until her sixteenth birthday, when a mysterious present unlocks the story of her family's dangerous history and Jael's untapped potential. She discovers that the reason her family moves around a lot is because they're being chased by a particularly vindictive Duke of Hell, Belial. Jael must learn to master her demon side in order to take him on, while also dealing with a twisted priest, best friend drama, and the spacey blonde skater boy who may have hidden depths

Review:
When I first heard about this book. I honestly wasn't sure about. I thought the cover was very eye catching and the description to very interesting. But at the same time I knew that there was a lot of religion in it so I was unsure. However, the publisher contacted me to review the book and I figured I may as well. And even though there is alot of religion it I really did enjoy this fantastic book.

Misfit is about Jael, a young teenager who has never fit it. Her and her father travel all over the world, never staying in one place to long. Why? Because Jael is being hunted by Belial, Duke of Hell. Jael has always known her mother was a demon but on her 16th birthday she discovers that she is in fact a half breed with supernatural powers that can be deadly if not controlled.

As I mentioned above there is alot of religion in this book. And that can put people off. However, it's not that ram it down your throat kind. Jon has took alot of the christian stories and characters put his own quirky spin on them. And in a way I am glad I am a catholic because I actually knew who these people were thanks to Mass on Sundays and R.E in school. Saying that it's still pretty easy to follow.

Our main character is Jael. At first I didn't have a connection to her. I understood her and got that it must be hard always moving around and never knowing her mother. But it wasn't until she found out she was a halfbreed that I actually started to warm up to her and really get inside her head. I'm still not fully liking her though. And at times I found her POV actually quite boring. But I did like the chemistry between her and Rob. Rob is a real sweetheart. He adore's Jael and doesn't freak out when she tells him the truth about her. However, I actually prefer the flash backs from Paul, her father. He has had such an interesting and dangerous life when he met Jael's Mother. Their story I wanted more of. It was compelling and magical, full of love and danger.

The story itself was a slow starter. But as the backstory unravels itself I found myself engrossed in the book and wanted to know more and more and waiting for the big bad to come. Jon is a very talented author. He has took probably my favourite part of christian stories, Demons; and brought them to life. Some good, some bad and some down right ugly.

Overall, a really good YA novel that is truely unique. I'm not sure if there is a follow up but the ending was done in such a way that there could easily be a sequel and I really hope there is.

*Thank you Amulet publishing for providing me with a copy in exchange for a honest review.

Rate: 4/5
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

1 comment :

  1. I thought it was a decent read. Like you I'm glad they didn't cram the religion.

    ReplyDelete

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.