Fever (The Chemical Garden Trilogy #2) by Lauren DeStefano

May Contain Spoilers from Book 1

Reviewed by: Siobhán
Format: Paperback
Pages:  341
Published: 16th Feb 2012 (UK)
Publisher: Harper Voyager
Source: Publisher for Review
Genre: YA Dystopian
Buy: Amazon UK I Amazon US I Book Depository

Description:

For 17-year-old Rhine Ellery, a daring escape from a suffocating polygamous marriage is only the beginning…

Running away brings Rhine and Gabriel right into a trap, in the form of a twisted carnival whose ringmistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Just as Rhine uncovers what plans await her, her fortune turns again. With Gabriel at her side, Rhine travels through an environment as grim as the one she left a year ago – surroundings that mirror her own feelings of fear and hopelessness.

The two are determined to get to Manhattan, to relative safety with Rhine’s twin brother, Rowan. But the road there is long and perilous – and in a world where young women only live to age twenty and young men die at twenty-five, time is precious. Worse still, they can’t seem to elude Rhine’s father-in-law, Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion…by any means necessary.

Review:
Fever is book 2 in The Chemical Garden Trilogy and after reading Wither I was super excited to get my hands on Fever. However, even though overall I did enjoy the book it just wasn't up to the same standards as Wither.

Rhine and Gabriel have escaped! They are on the run trying to reach Manhatten where Rhine hopes her brother Rowen. However, it's not all smooth sailing. They end up being trapped in a carnival where girls are forced into prosititution. Trying to find a way to escape proves to be very difficult especially with Vaughn on their tale who is hell bent on getting Rhine back to mansion.

Now, I did enjoy this book for the most part. The beginning was very exciting and thrilling but it seems to slow down alot in the middle and doesn't pick up again until the last 60 or so pages. I didn't really like Rhine in this one. In Wither I was unsure about her but this one I just didn't like her. At times she comes across really selfish and her relationship with Gabriel  just isn't believable to me.

Fever really feels like a filler book. Wither was amazing and this just felt like a set up book for the final book which I honestly think will be better because the ending to Fever was OMG, Epic! I did not see that coming. The last 60 odd pages where so good but the slow and at times very boring middle let the book down for me. I am really excited for the final book because I hope Linden will have a bigger role in it. As we don't really see much of him in this one. And I do like him. I know alot of people don't but there is just something about him that draws me to him.

Lauren DeStefano has created a very unique and thrilling story that is dark and at times very depressing but it works for this. I hope book 3 renews my faith in this trilogy. And I do recommend reading Fever if you have read Wither. And if you haven't read Wither then go now!!



Rate: 3/5
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket


9 comments :

  1. It's a shame Fever doesn't live up to the awesome Wither, which I enjoyed a lot. I wonder if it is a second book (middle book in a trilogy) thing, because I didn't like Crossed as much as Matched...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same with Crossed as well. I didn't like it as much as Match

      Delete
  2. I had similar feelings for Fever. It was a real let-down after how much I enjoyed Wither.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm glad im not alone! Everyones seems to think this is better :S

      Delete
  3. I adored Wither . . . so I really hope I love this one too. Really hope so! Anyway great review! Just a pity it disappointed you but at least you still enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Wither too. And in fact I loved Matched.

    I know what you guys mean about the second books. In the case of Fever I think my biggest problem was no Linden. You have a love triangle. But one member is missing for most of the book. In Wither, even though they were mostly stuck at the mansion it was extremely interesting. And you had both Gabriel and Linden. I really missed Linden in Fever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yip! I missed Linden aswell.

      Delete
    2. I don't like Gabriel! I don't think he's developed enough to be a main contender for Rhine. (Don't come after me with your pitchforks please!) but I liked that Linden was well thought out. He was this guy who's sheltered and naive and just wants somebody to love while Gabriel was out of the blue jealous of Rhine with Linden. This relationship came out of nowhere. Gabriel falls flat as a character.There is no growth or anything. (Sorry I just have so many feels about this 'triangle')

      Delete
  5. Great review Sio! I loved this one...I was actually pretty surprised by how much I enjoyed this series and Fever didn't disappoint me. I did miss Linden and I have high hopes for book three but I'm still on the fence with the hole Gabriel/Linden thing. =) ~ Donna

    ReplyDelete

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.