Movie Night: Mirror Mirror

Movie: Mirror Mirror
Cert: PG (UK)
Release: 2nd April 2012 (UK)
Genre: Fairy Tale, Romance,Comedy
Director: Tarsem Singh
Staring:  Lily Collins, Julia Roberts and Armie Hammer
My IMDB Rating: ★★★★★★☆☆☆☆ 6/10

Description:
The timeless fairy tale that has enchanted generations gets a dazzling makeover by visionary director Tarsem Singh in this sumptuous fantasy adventure starring Oscar-winner Julia Roberts as The Evil Queen and newcomer Lily Collins as the fair-skinned Princess Snow White. When handsome Prince Alcott (Armie Hammer) falls for angelic Snow White, the jealous The Evil Queen seizes control of a magical kingdom, and casts the orphaned princess into exile. Meanwhile, as the diabolical queen schemes to win the heart of handsome Prince Alcott with the help of her bumbling servant Brighton (Nathan Lane), Snow White befriends a gang of pint-sized thieves that help her to reclaim her rightful place on the throne, and win back the man of her dreams. - HMV



My Thoughts:
I have just finished watching Mirror Mirror and I have to admit I did enjoy it. I didn't have any high hopes for it because from the trailers I didn't seem all that. However, I am really glad I watched it. It's fun, cute and packed full of adventure for children to enjoy. 

My original plan for this was to have my 5 year old watch it with me but when I showed him the trailer this morning he looked at me like I was stupid. In his words "Mummy, no, just no, that's way too girly for me!" Bless him, so maybe not the best movie for the boys but no doubt the girls will enjoy it a lot more. 

As you know this is a retelling of Snow White and I am NOT going to compare this to Snow White and The Huntsman  because they are cleary two completely different movies and targetted at two completely audiences. Mirror Mirror was a very sweet adaptation of the Grimm Fairytale. It's upbeat and very funny. It reminded me of the old Carry On Movies a little bit lol. The movie is beautifully shot. The colours are so vibrant that make just make you feel happy. 

For me the acting in this was so so. Nothing bad but from the main cast nothing amazing. Snow (Lily)  was super sweet but didn't wow me. The Evil Queen (Julia) was very very funny and Julia was stunning as always is. Prince Alcott (Armie) I enjoyed watching him, he gets a few funny scenes and well he is handsome! However, the real stars for me was the dwarfs. They really shine in the movie. They are funny, smart, brave and teach Snow a lot. Grub and Half Pint are my favourites. Grub all he thinks about his food. And Half Pint is in love with Snow. All the dwarfs together though just make a fantastic group and you can tell that it would have been so much fun working on that movie!

The ending was very cheesy! But for a movie like Mirror Mirror it works perfectly. I do recommend this if you like your romance fairytales with a bit of  twist.

Have you seen the movie? 
Leave a comment below and tell me what you thought!


3 comments :

  1. I agree with your review... it was cute. there were a few parts I was slightly bored at (I took my daughters, ages 9 and 11) and they LOVED it! Although - the one thing I was a bit confused with was the end song... it had that kind of Bollywood feel... very indian -- and there wasn't any other songs in the movie... A bit campy/corny I thought! But overall, enjoyable. I cannot WAIT to see Snow White and the Huntsman...now THAT looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg you haven't seen SWATH yet!!!!! Oh dear, go now!!! Lol. That movie was epic!!

      Yeah the ending was so cheesy.

      Delete
    2. Should say the ending of Mirror Mirror was so cheesy lol. It was good. But I'm glad I didn't see it the movies.

      Delete

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.