Book Review: A Shade of Vampire (A Shade of Vampire #1) by Bella Forrest

Reviewed By: Siobhán
Format: Kindle Ebook
Pages: 152
Published: 14th Dec 2012
Publisher: Createspace
Source: Author for Review
Genre:  YA, Paranormal
Buy: Amazon UK I Amazon US I Book Depository

Description:
On the evening of Sofia Claremont's seventeenth birthday, she is sucked into a nightmare from which she cannot wake. A quiet evening walk along a beach brings her face to face with a dangerous pale creature that craves much more than her blood. She is kidnapped to an island where the sun is eternally forbidden to shine. An island uncharted by any map and ruled by the most powerful vampire coven on the planet. She wakes here as a slave, a captive in chains. Sofia's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn when she is the one selected out of hundreds of girls to join the harem of Derek Novak, the dark royal Prince. Despite his addiction to power and obsessive thirst for her blood, Sofia soon realizes that the safest place on the island is within his quarters, and she must do all within her power to win him over if she is to survive even one more night. Will she succeed? ...or is she destined to the same fate that all other girls have met at the hands of the Novaks

I received this a while ago for review by the author and I am physically kicking myself for leaving it so long to read. It was outstanding. I am been in a awful slump and this little gem was freaking perfect. It was unique. dark and come on? Vampires!! We all know how I love them.

A Shade of Vampire follows seventeen year old Sofia. She runs into a handsome stranger on the beach and the next thing she knows she is being pulled into a world she didn't know exsisted. A Vampire Kingdom called "The Shade" There she has been selected to be part of the prince, Derek Novak's harem. At first all she wants is to escape and get away from Derek, However, she soon learns that maybe the safest place for her is by Derek's Side.

The story is told from both Sofia's and Derek's point of view. Usually I am not the biggest fan of changing POV's but it really works for this story. We get to see the story develop through both characters eyes and really get inside the characters heads. I instantly connected wuth Sofia. She is one of those rare characters who I just loved. I liked that she can be terrified herself but show comfort to those around her. She is strong and fiesty but also as an innocence about her that is intriguing. Derek, oh Derek, He is a vampire! He has been asleep for 400 years and has awoken to this new world. He is instantly attracted to Sofia and he doesn't know why. I love that he is mixed of old and new vampire. On one hand he is a vampire, he craves blood and he doesn't think twice about killing. On the other hand, he is sweet and adores Sofia. He feels guity about keeping her and wants to keep her safe. He is quite tormented. And he is sexy as hell!!!

And of course a vampire story isn't complete without the bad guy. The evil vampire, Lucas, Derek's older brother. He is the one who kidnaps Sofia. You will hate him. He is truely evil, 100% creep and I hated him with passion. He is a great character for the story, we all need a character we can hate don't we?

A Shade of Vampire, straight away pulls you into the story from page  one. It may be only 150 pages long but it packs one hell of punch. The plot is outstanding and completely different to any other vampire book I have read and believe me I have read A LOT! But nothing like this. I love how the author has created this world and her attention to detail when describing The Shade. She manages to create full picture in the readers, capturing everything you need to know to truely visualize the scenes. The Story is dark and exciting. I devoured it within a few hours. For such a short book I couldn't believe just how amazing it was.

I can't recommend this book enough. If you are in need of a something new with a fresh take on vampire then please give this a try. It is short but explosive with one hell of a cliff hanger that leaves you begging for more!!! And I want more!! No, I need more!! More of the yummy dark prince, Derek!!

Now most of you know I am not a big fan of people on covers. Yeah I sometimes think they can be pretty and sometimes when done right they can be kickass. However, usually I prefer an image or design that will symbolize the story. Well in this case I am torn. The cover fits perfectly with the story. The Dark colours and the image of Sofia is very important to the story. but I don't like how the face looks, it just doesn't look right. Maybe it is just me and I am just being weird. Overall though, the cover is perfect for the story. 

**Due of some of the scenes I feel that the book is targetted at the older side of YA. 15/16+



4 comments :

  1. Just downloaded the ebook. £1.99! Great review my dear. I hope I like it as much as you did. And the cover....the girls face does look weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not my genre...Good review nonetheless...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. It isnt for everyone but thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.