Guest Review: Carrie by Stephen King

Reviewed by: Millie
Format: Paperback
Pages: 272
Published: 13th Nov 2011*
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Source: Bought
Genre: Sci-Fi, Horror
Buy: Amazon UK I Amazon US I Book Depository
*Re-published

Description:
Carrie White is no ordinary girl. Carrie White has the gift of telekinesis. To be invited to Prom Night by Tommy Ross is a dream come true for Carrie - the first step towards social acceptance by her high school colleagues. But events will take a decidedly macabre turn on that horrifying and endless night as she is forced to exercise her terrible gift on the town that mocks and loathes her . . .

I loved reading Carrie. Originally I started reading it as I heard there is going to be a re-make of the film at some point and really enjoyed it. It speaks to everybody’s need to fit in and conform to what others believe you should be and act like. But Carrie is far from normal, a fact which has ruled her life from the time she can remember. Her mum is extremely religious and has brought her daughter up in such a restricting home that she doesn’t know how to be “normal”, her punishments for misbehaviour was that extreme that she fears things that others would see as everyday occurrences. I liked reading it as a split between the story leading up to the main event and the documents/ books written trying to explain what happened. The documentary-drama element of it kept me reading. I was unable to put it down unless I absolutely had to. Overall a very good Sci-Fi classic.


No comments :

Post a Comment

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.