Book Review: On Dublin Street (On Dublin Street #1) by Samantha Young

Reviewed By: Siobhán
Format: eArc
Pages: 416
Published: 17th Jan 2013
Publisher: Penguin
Source: Netgalley for Review
Genre: Adult Contemporary
Buy: Amazon UK I Amazon US I Book Depository

Description:
Jocelyn Butler has been hiding from her past for years. But all her secrets are about to be laid bare . . .

Four years ago, Jocelyn left her tragic past behind in the States and started over in Scotland, burying her grief, ignoring her demons, and forging ahead without attachments. Her solitary life is working well - until she moves into a new apartment on Dublin Street, where she meets a man who shakes her carefully guarded world to its core.

Braden Carmichael is used to getting what he wants, and he's determined to get Jocelyn into his bed. Knowing how skittish she is about entering a relationship, Braden proposes an arrangement that will satisfy their intense attraction without any strings attached.

But after an intrigued Jocelyn accepts, she realizes that Braden won't be satisfied with just mind-blowing passion. The stubborn Scotsman is intent on truly knowing her . . . down to the very soul.
I am having a slight case of reviewers block so please bare with me here. I want to gush on just how much I loved this book but I have been staring at my screen and  nothing makes sense but here goes.

On Dublin Street, what can I say? Two things really! ONE: OMG FREAKING GOD!! I LOVED IT. And I mean I LOOOOOVED IT. TWO: I never thought I would love a Scotsman so much in book.

On Dublin Street tells the story of Joss (Jocelyn), she is a trouble young woman who moves to Scotland when she was 18 to escape her tragic past. She has built up a wall and doesn't let anyone get too close. Well that is until she meets Ellie and Braden Carmichael. Joss, at times I found that I couldn't connect with her easily, I wanted to shake her at times. But Overall, she is a very likable character. She is strong and funny but at the same times she is vulnerable. She has a lot of issues and instead of facing them she buries them and that just isn't healthy and it is stopping her living her life.  Ellie, she is adorable. You instantly like her. She is sweet and with Joss she knows not to push and just let the trust built. Same with Braden. He wants Joss. And Joss wants him even though at first she denies it. At times Braden comes across as a complete arse, he is arogant and always gets what he want. However, you tell that he really likes Joss and wants to make her happy. I was rooting for them from the very start. Now being Scottish myself I don't understand the attraction people have to our accents because well I hear it everyday but Braden I could hear him and see all his sexiness in my head I was loving it.

The author has created an amazing and exciting adult contemporary read. I was hooked from page one because Samantha is just a fantastic writer. She manages to blend in drama, romance and humour all the while keeping it fresh and gripping for the readers. However, even though I loved the story and the characters I can't rate it 5 stars because I felt that the ending was very rushed which was really disappointing and the overuse of the word "Babe" drove me crazy. I would have loved if the author put in a few more Scottish words though just make it feel more authentic.

Overall though, do I recommend "On Dublin Street"? HELL YEAH!!! It is such a fantastic read. If you like your books filled with drama, sexy times and a yummy Scottish man then give this a wee try. You will no doubt love it!!



Like Totally Bookalicious??
Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments :

  1. I loved this too and I got the chance to meet Samantha at her book signing in Edinburgh, she was so nice. I can't wait for the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully the next one is just as good. :)

    ReplyDelete

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.