Book Review: Marked (House of Night #1) by P.C and Kristin Cast

Reviewed By: Siobhán
Format: Paperback
Pages: 368
Published: 15th Jan 2009
Publisher: Atom
Source:  Bought
Genre:  YA Paranormal, Vampire
Buy:Amazon UK / Amazon US / Book Depository

Description:
When sixteen-year-old Zoey Redbird gets Marked as a fledgling vampire she must join the House of Night school where she will train to become an adult vampire. That is, if she makes it through the Change. But Zoe is no ordinary fledgling. She has been chosen as special by the Goddess Nyx and discovers her amazing new power to conjure the elements: earth, air, fire, water and spirit.When Zoey discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite group, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look within herself to embrace her destiny - with a little help from her new vampire friends.

-Not suitable for younger readers -



I have been in an awful slump since June. I had tried so many different books and none would hold my attention longer than the first few pages. However, I was sitting watching tv and HoN popped into my head. It had been a while since I read this series so decided I would try Marked. And I devoured it in a few hours.

Marked follows Zoey as her life is turned upside down when she starts turning into a vampire. Her mother isn't supportive at all even though Zoey is scared and didn't ask for this. Zoey runs away from home to her Grandma's house but ends up having an accident and finds herself waking up in the House of Night. There she struggles to fit in because she is different to other fledglings. She is trying to juggle classes, her new friends, her almost ex boyfriend and a boy who could be her future boyfriend all the while trying to take down her enemy.

I know a lot of people don't like these books but I personally love them. When I first read Marked it was straight after Twilight and I remember thinking how different it was. I found the storyline refreshing and Zoey seriously kick ass. Yeah she has a whiny moments but she is 16 that's to be expected!!! I thought the chemistry she has with her friends are very natural and easy. The authors didn't have to force any relationships they all seemed real.

This time around I read it quicker. Just because I think my brain needed something that wasn't a challenge to read. The plot is very fast paced and so much fun. It's not overly seriously and has a lot of funny moments. However, the whole books takes place over I think 3 days? So some part do feel very rush especially the ending. An extra chapter or two and this would have been a big 5 star book for me.

I highly recommend this series who those who like their vampire stories with a twist. Marked stands as a solid start to the series and leaves you wanting more.

The cover used is the newer redesign for the UK. I have the older cover but I love these new colourful ones so I had to add them. They looks so bright and pretty in the book stores. I will be rebuying this series in paperback once they are finished so I have a full matching set. :)




Like Totally Bookalicious??
Follow on Bloglovin

1 comment :

  1. Not a big fan of this series. I got to book 5 or 6 and then stopped. Glad you like them though.

    K x

    ReplyDelete

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.