*Book Review* Deep Blue (Waterfire Saga #1) by Jennifer Donnelly


Reviewed By: Siobhán
Format:  Kindle Ebook
Pages:  373
Published: 1st May 2014
Publisher:  Hodder Children's Books
Source: Bought
Genre:  YA Fantasy, Mythology
Shelfability: Acquire

Description:
When Serafina, a mermaid of the Mediterranean Sea, awakens on the morning of her betrothal, her biggest worry should be about reuniting with handsome Prince Mahdi, her childhood crush. Instead she finds herself haunted by strange dreams foretelling the return of an ancient evil, and dealing with the deaths of her parents as assassins storm the betrothal ceremony, plunging the city into chaos.

Led only by her shadowy dreams and pursued by the invading army, Serafina and her best friend Neela embark on a quest to avenge her parents' death and prevent a war between the mer nations. In the process they discover a plot that threatens their - and our - world's very existence.


Deep Blue is the first book in a new Mermaid fantasy series for teens but it can appeal to adults aswell! I am not one to read mermaid books I think I have only even read one other series involving Mermaids, "Fins" by Tera Lynn Childs and those were really fun and light hearted reads. Deep Blue is completely different! It's more grown up and serious. With a fascinating plot that is completely mesmerising. However , at times the characters do come around a little bit childish.

Deep Blue is a very fast paced story that you will get swept up in it. It's exciting and thrilling and always keeps the readers on their toes. The author really knows how to tell a story and without having to go into a lot of back story which is a bonus for me. I don't need a lot of world building to enjoy a story I just need to know enough to keep me interested. Her attention to details of the world that Serafina lives in is magical! You really feel like you are along for the ride aswell because everything comes alive so vividly in your imagination.

So I adored the plot and setting I can't fault that at all. Beautifully written! However, at times I found the characters a little bit childish. I know Serafina and Neely are only around 16 but they acted so much younger at times. Neely just annoyed me. I think at times the author was trying to make her sound funny but she just sounded annoying. 

One of the big draws for me the romance or lack off I should say!! It is so refreshing to read a YA novels that isn't about romance! I love that! Usually there is ALWAYS a instalove and then a love triangle and don't get me wrong when done right I like a good triangle but it was just a nice breath of fresh air to have our main character focus on something other the boys!! Instead she is focus something important!  I applaud the author for going in that direction.

I highly recommend Deep Blue if you like a really good fast paced Mythological tale that is beautifully written and captivating. It's magical and thrilling and I can't wait to read the next instalment. 


If you have read the book please share your thoughts in the comments or share you review links :)
Like Totally Bookalicious??
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments :

Post a Comment

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.