*Book Review* The Selection (The Selection #1) by Kiera Cass

 
Reviewed By: Siobhán
Format: Kindle Ebook
Pages: 336
Published: 7th June 2012
Publisher: HarperCollins
Source:  Bought/Free/Gift
Genre: YA Dystopian
Shelfability Covet

Description:
In a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels the Selection is the chance of a lifetime: to compete for gorgeous Prince Maxon's ear. But for America Singer it means turning her back on her secret love, and leaving home for a prize she doesn't want.

Then America meets Maxon and all her plans start to crumble. Can the life she's always dreamed of compare to a future she never imagined?



I first received the paperback edition of this title as a gift from a fellow book blogger back it when it first came out. It wasn't until I notice it was that it was free on kindle a few weeks ago that I realised I still hadn't read it. (Hence why it was in my "We Still Haven't Read" meme last week!! And after starting is only yesterday and finishing it today I am kicking myself for waiting so long!! "The Selection" was a little taste of perfection!! I can't find a single fault within these pages. It was addictive and captivating and left me wanting more!!

"The Selection" is described as being a cross between "The Hunger Games" and "The Bachelor" and yes I think that is the perfect description. It's not as brutal as The Hunger Games but I could see how it was very similar in some aspects. A bunch to teenagers competing to be the one winner on a TV show. But instead of killing each other they are competing to win the chance to be the wife of Prince Maxon.

America is our main character and she is pretty awesome!! Independent, knows her own mind. She is also strong, kind and just very likable. Aspen we are introduced at the very beginning and is America's first love. But then she meets Prince Maxon in The Selection and soon she becomes very confused about her feelings. I am going to come right out and say I am 100% Team Maxon!! He is adorable, sweet and funny but he also wants to make his country a better place and his fondness for America is endearing and genuine. I am really exciting to see how this love triangle plays out. (Do Not tell me if you already know lol)

Dystopian reads are usually a hit or miss with me so I am thrilled this was a big hit!! "The Selection" just had me hooked from page one. We slowly learn about this new country as the story progresses which I think is the best way. I found it very interesting because with "The Selection" the back story felt like it could actually happen which is a scary thought.  The author manages to create something so believable that is both beautiful and terrifying at the same.

If you still haven't read "The Selection" yet please go right now and get reading!! It's fantastic! I can't recommend it enough!


If you have read the book please share your thoughts in the comments or share you review links :)
Like Totally Bookalicious??
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments :

Post a Comment

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.