#BookReview: Black Flowers, White Lies by Yvonne Ventresca

Title: Black Flowers, White Lies
Format: e-Arc
Pages: 272
Published: 4th Oct 2016
Publisher: Sky Pony Press
Source: Edelweiss
Genre:YA, Psychological thriller
Shelfability: Acquire
About The Book
Her father died before she was born, but Ella Benton knows they have a supernatural connection. Since her mother discourages these beliefs, Ella keeps her cemetery visits secret. But she may not be the only one with secrets. Ella’s mother might be lying about how Dad died sixteen years ago. Newfound evidence points to his death in a psychiatric hospital, not as a result of a tragic car accident as her mother always claimed. After a lifetime of just the two of them, Mom suddenly feels like a stranger.

When a handprint much like the one Ella left on her father’s tombstone mysteriously appears on the bathroom mirror, at first she wonders if Dad is warning her of danger as he did once before. If it’s not a warning, could her new too-good-to-be-true boyfriend be responsible for the strange occurrences? Or maybe it’s the grieving building superintendent whose dead daughter strongly resembles Ella? As the unexplained events become more frequent and more sinister, Ella becomes terrified about who—or what—might harm her.

Soon the evidence points to someone else entirely: Ella herself. What if, like her father, she’s suffering from a breakdown? In this second novel from award-winning author Yvonne Ventresca, Ella desperately needs to find answers, no matter how disturbing the truth might be.

"I approach Dad's tombstone with trepidation, then breathe a sigh of relief."

I went into this with no expectations at all. I had never heard of it before or the author. However, something about the cover just called to me when I was browsing on edelweiss the other day. All I knew about it was that it was a YA Psychological thriller with a supernatural element. I didn't really read the blurb I just went straight into with an open mind and Oh. My. It was one hell of a read. I devoured it in a few hours. Which lately is a miracle for me. 

Ella's father dad before she was born. However, she has always felt a supernatural connection to him. She visits his grave all the time but keeps it a secret from her mum on just how often she visits. Around the time of her mums wedding strange things start to happen. Random flowers being left by her fathers grave. Mysterious handprints appearing in her house. Could is be that someone is doing this to her? Or is it her father reaching out from the grave? Or could is it be Ella herself?

Black Flower, White Lies had me hooked from the very first page. I got so caught up in the story that I didn't come back to reality until I got to the last page and realise I had sat in bed and read this in one sitting. The author has managed to creates such an extrordinary tale full of mystery and suspense. Full of twists and turns that will keep you guessing not really knowing where she would take the characters next. 

Ella is such a compelling character. Her connection to the father she has never meet is so strong and I think it is sweet that she is trying to keep his memory alive. Even if her mothers is moving on. The only thing that bugged me about Ella was her freaking cat t-shirts. It got to the point that it was just annoying. I get it, she loved cats but it was so irritating and for me didn't really have any importance in the books. The cat yes but knowing what t-shirt she was wearing on daily basis not so much. When Blake comes into the story they seem to form a bond quite early on. He is good looking and charming but Ella feels close to him after he shows her "evidence" of what happened to her father and this is when the story gets really thrilling.

As I was reading this I thought for sure I knew where the story was going. Was I right? Hell no!! The author completely throw me for six and knocked me off my game. I thought for sure I had it figured out from quite early on but as the story progresses the author takes the readers in a different direction to keep you on your toes. I found that the mystery of it all was done very well. The psychological aspect seemed to be really thought out. You really get into Ella's mindset and experience everything the way she is. 

The only thing about Black Flowers, White Lies was that the ending left you with so many unanswered questions. If there is going to be another book then I get leaving everything up in the air. But if this a stand alone then it's just bloody frustating. I hate when books don't tie up everything.  However, apart from that, this book was fantastic.If you enjoy books that keep you guessing then give this a go. It's fast paced and great ya thriller that isn't what it seems.

Don't forget to "Like", "Comment" and "Share" if you enjoyed this post.

No comments :

Post a Comment

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.