#MovieReview: The BFG (2016)

Movie: The BFG
Cert:  PG (UK)
Release: 22nd July 2016 (UK)
Genre: Adventure, Family, Fantasy
Director:
Writer (screenplay), (book)
My Rating: 5 out of 5

About The Movie
Steven Spielberg directs this adaptation of Roald Dahl's novel starring Mark Rylance as the Big Friendly Giant. The film follows Sophie (Ruby Barnhill) as she is whisked away from her orphanage by the BFG and taken to Giant Country where she is immediately at risk of being eaten by the other, larger giants, including Fleshlumpeater (Jemaine Clement) and Bloodbottler (Bill Hader). Together, Sophie and the BFG go on an adventure to Dream Country where they capture dreams for the BFG to give to all of the human world's sleeping children. After coming up with a cunning plan, the pair head back to London to see if the Queen (Penelope Wilton) can help them tackle the problem of the bullying, child-eating giants.



 
My son and I had been looking forward to this movie for a long time. And while we still haven''t read the book. (I know I should be ashamed) we enjoyed this very much. It was one a wonderful, magical family movie filled with laughter. 

Now I don't know how true to the book this stays so I can't comment on that so this is going to be my thoughts purely on the movie. The BFG centres around Sophie. A young girl you lives at an orphanage.  During the night, at the "Witching Hour" Sophie is a taken from her bed and whisked away by the BFG and taken on an adventure to Giant Country. She is scared at first but as she gets to know The BFG they become friends and together along with The Queen, they set out to stop the bad child-eating giants. 

The BFG was simply wonderful. My nine year old loved every single second of the movie. Usually get starts to lose his patience after the first hour into a movie. However with this one he sat from start to finished. Laughing all the way the through. He was completely captivated by the movie. 


As I said above I have never read the book but I have read other books by the author and this movie just captures the essence of Roald Dahl superbly. It's pure magic but with a little bit of terror thrown in. Some of the very young children, around 2 and 3, seeing this were actually crying at parts because they were scared.

The graphics and cinematography in this movie are stunning. The BFG has been done so well. The character really does look like the actor playing him. I was an awe of this movie and just how specials effects have come along in cinema. Some of the scenes are just breathtakingly beautiful. 


One thing I really loved, was Giant Country. The scenery is outstanding because it's set in Scotland. I watched on TV that they needed somewhere that was green and with plenty of hills and of course Scotland fits perfectly. And I personally think they couldn't have pick better place for it. (I am not biased at all LOL)

If you are looking for a great family film this please go see The BFG. It will be enjoyed by young and old. And there is one scene in the movie that had the full theatre cracking up with laughter and the sound of children laughing is a beautiful thing.


Like this post? 
Show your support 
Like / Comment / Share

No comments :

Post a Comment

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.