*Book Review* Incarcerated by Inger Iversen



Title: Incarcerated (Love and War #1)
Format: Ebook
Pages: 342
Published:  27th Sept 2014
Publisher: Inger Iversen Books PLC
Source: Author for Review
Genre: Adult Romance
Shelfability: Acquire
Buy: Amazon UK I Amazon US I
**About the Book**
One of the few white kids in a rural Kentucky town, Logan Whyte always kept to his own kind out of self-preservation. He never considered himself racist, but that didn’t stop him from falling in with the wrong crowd—who celebrated hate as much as he fought it—or from ending up in prison for eight years on an armed robbery charge.
A successful, educated black woman, Katie Andreassen was tired of being accused of betraying her own race. Her lonely isolation, coupled with her grief over losing her mother, inspire her to create a new pen pal program at Capshaw State Penitentiary, where her father is a warden.
The program brings the unlikely pair together, but Logan and Katie soon find themselves forced to overcome past fears and prejudices. Their friendship doesn’t come easily … threatened by a crooked lawyer with a grudge and a best friend who betrays her promise to help.
When faced with a world that forces them apart, Logan and Katie must show everyone else what they have discovered: that love is, in fact, colorblind.

Incarcerated had me intrigued as soon as I read the blurb. I knew the authors writing so I had high hopes and I was not disappointed. It's a very interesting story that takes you on an emotional roller and stays with you long after you finish it.

Katie and Logan are two people who under normal circumstances wouldn't even know each other.  However, they meet through a pen pal system. Katie is a best selling author. A "good girl" she likes nothing better than staying home reading book but she is lonely. Logan is serving 8 years in jail for robbery. Through writing letters they soon start to fall each other. There is only one problem Logan is a racist and Katie is a black woman. Can he overcome his past to build a new future??

I adored Katie. She was such a likable character. She hates big crowds and would rather spend her time indoors with a book. A girl after my own heart. As the story progress she reveals secrets from her past that are heartbreaking and it gives the reader a better understanding of why she keeps herself isolated. Logan I am torn on how I feel about him. On the one hand when he is sweet and there for Katie when she needs him.  But on the other hand even though he doesn't think of himself as a racist some of the things he says and thinks make him clearly a racist.

Incarcerated is such a captivating read. I was intrigued with how the author was going to deal with the issues that are in this book.  The relationship between the convict and the best selling author as well as it being an interracial relationship. I think the relationship between Katie and Logan was done very nicely. The only thing I think was that I would have liked to see the prison relationship developed a little bit more.

The author has managed to create a believe back story for Logan and even though I don't agree with his views I was rooting for him to be able to change and not let what happened to him when he was young affect how he thinks about people's race.  Racism is something that I hate!! And while I myself have never been subjected to it sadly my 8 year old son has. He is mixed race and the slightest form of racism really angers me.

I am now really looking forward to reading the next installment about Katie's and Logan's best friends Teal and Trent.


No comments :

Post a Comment

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.