*Book Review* Cartel (Cartel #1) by Lili St Germain


Title: Cartel
Format: eArc
Pages: 336
Published: 27th Jan 2015
Publisher: Harper Collins
Source: Publisher for Review
Genre: Dark Romance
Shelfability: Covet
Buy:  Amazon UK / Amazon US
About The Book
How much is a life worth?

Mariana Rodriguez is the eldest daughter of a Colombian drug lord. Growing up in Villanueva, Colombia, she has never wanted for anything. Private schools, a lavish lifestyle, and the safety of the Cartel that her father works for.

At nineteen, she's got her entire life mapped out, and what a good life it's going to be: graduate from college, move to America, and finally be free from the stifling grip of the Cartel.
Only, her father messes up. A shipment of cocaine - a very large, very valuable shipment - is seized by the authorities whilst under his care and he becomes liable for the debt. Half a million dollars' worth of cocaine.

Half a million dollars he does not have.

But he has a daughter, a very smart one, a daughter who would give up her very existence and offer herself as payment for her father's sins, to ensure her family survives.

But falling in love with the man who owns her isn't part of the plan ...

I had never read any of the Gypsy Brothers books before. So I had no previous knowledge when I started reading the spin off series. I don't think you need to read the other books to enjoy this though. I devoured this. I was drawn in by the darkness of it. It was twisted and sick, yet I bloody loved every single second of it.

Mariana has grown up in the Colombian drug world. She is the daughter of a drug lord and wants nothing more than to get as far away from the Cartel as possible. However, things soon change when her father loses half a million dollars worth of cocaine and she offers up her life to save her family. She is scared but she strong. She will do whatever it takes to keep her family save. What she didn't expect was falling in love with the son of the man who technically owns her.

OK, I freaking loved this book!! I did start it weeks ago but didn't really have time to properly read it. So last night I decide to start it again and I devoured it in about 3 hours!! It was addictive! Mariana is such a strong character. At only 19 she goes through so much crap in her past and throughout this story but you wonder how the hell she is still able to wake up every day and get on with things. In her situation I think most people would have killed themselves but she doesn't. Emilio is the man who now owns her. He is a ruthless pig. I hated him with a passion. He wants to use Mariana to make an example of her father for screwing up. However, Dornan (Emilio's son) has other plans for Mariana. Dornan oh dear, I shouldn't have liked him. He is a bastard! Heartless at times and down right twisted. Yet I was drawn to him like a moth to a flame.

The chemistry between Mariana and Dornan was sizzling! The sexual tension between them is something else. But it's done in such a way that even under the circumstance seems natural. Now, the book has issues, believe me and it's not going to be everyones cup of tea. If you like your romances to be all chocolate and flowers then turn away now because Cartel is twisted, dark, brutal but delicious and tantalising! I am always drawn to a darker storyline and believe me, Cartel has it.

Cartel is a book that maybe I shouldn't like as much as I did. It's full of sick individuals and abuse yet I was completely captivated by this dark and twisted world and couldn't get enough! I now need to actually read the original Gypsy Brothers books and can't wait to get stuck into the next book in the series, Kingpin!

 
Don't forget to Like, Comment and Share, if you enjoyed this post!!

No comments :

Post a Comment

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.